In accordance with FITARA, 35 beginning in fiscal year 2016, each agency head shall annually publish a Strategic Plan to describe the agency’s consolidation and optimization strategy for fiscal years 2016, 2017, and 2018. The DCOI Strategic Plan and milestones described below replace existing FDCCI requirements for consolidation plans.
Agencies DCOI Strategic Plans must include, at a minimum, the following:
- Planned and achieved performance levels for each optimization metric, by year;
- Planned and achieved closures, by year;
- An explanation for any optimization metrics and closures for which the agency did not meet the planned level in a previous Strategic Plan;
- Year-by-year calculations of target and actual agency-wide spending and cost savings on data centers from fiscal years 2016 through 2018, including: a. A description of any initial costs for data center consolidation and optimization; and b. Life cycle cost savings and other improvements (including those beyond fiscal year 2018, if applicable);
- Historical costs, cost savings, and cost avoidances due to data center consolidation and optimization through fiscal year 2015; and
- A statement from the agency CIO stating whether the agency has complied with all reporting requirements in this memorandum and the data center requirements of FITARA. If the agency has not complied with all reporting requirements, the agency must provide a statement describing the reasons for not complying.
Agencies are required to publish their Strategic Plans at [agency].gov/digitalstrategy under a section entitled, “Data Center Optimization Initiative Strategic Plans,” within 60 days of the issuance of this memorandum. Subsequent Strategic Plan updates shall be due on April 14, 2017 and April 13, 2018. Strategic plans shall also be made available in a machine-readable JSON format at [agency].gov/digitalstrategy/datacenteroptimizationstrategicplan.json. OMB will provide instructions to agencies, including a schema, at https://management.cio.gov/schema within 5 days of the issuance of this memorandum.
Agencies shall furthermore update their [agency].gov/digitalstrategy/FITARAmilestones.json files, also posted on their websites, to identify, at a minimum, 5 milestones per fiscal year to be achieved through the DCOI. DCOI milestones shall be updated quarterly as progress is achieved and shall be reviewed in quarterly PortfolioStat sessions with agencies’ OMB desk officers.
35 See FITARA Section 834(b)(1)(A)-(E).